Going Green with DISH Network
Planet Friendly Programming
Planet Green is the first and only 24-hour eco-lifestyle channel committed to preserving and celebrating the planet, dedicated to making a difference by providing programming that will enlighten, empower and most importantly, entertain. Planet Green speaks to people who want to understand green living and to those who truly want to make a difference by providing information to meet the critical challenge of protecting our environment.
Easy Being Green Tips To Live By
- Washing your close in cold water can reduce up to 80 percent of the energy require for each wash.
- Instead of using harmful chemicals when cleaning the house try using a white vinegar solution.
- Protect your household and the environment with a carbon monoxide detector.
- Re-cycle: Simple put separate bins next to your trash and sort plastics and glass accordingly.
- Cut you grass no lower than 2.5 inches; any lower and the grass require more water to grow.
- If you have a yard, compost your food. Table scraps can make nutrient rich mulch for your yard.
- Turn off televisions and other items when they’re not in use – this will also save you money.
- Energy Efficient Lights – CFL’s use 50-80% less energy than incandescent lights.
- Always water the lawn before sunrise or after dark to reduce evaporation and water more efficiently.
- Don’t throw away grass clippings. Leaving them on the lawn will provide nutrients.
- Turn down the thermostat in the winter and turn it up in the summer if you use air-conditioning.
Ever Wonder How Long Things Take To Break Down?
- Newspaper: 6 weeks
- Apple core: 2 months
- Cigarette filter: 1-5 years
- Styrofoam cup: 50 years
- Leather: 50 years
- Aluminum can: 80-200 years
- Plastic beverage bottles: 450 years
- Disposable diapers: 450 years
- Glass bottle: [insert mental image of Dr. Evil with his pinky to his lip] 1 miiiiiiilion years
A lot of these items people can easily recycle with minimal effort. So do your part and with a few minor tweaks your lifestyle can help ensure a better future for everyone.